Saturday, April 18, 2009

Yes, God is love, but do I have to?

Jesus did say, ‘You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax-collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. " (Matthew 5:43-48).

Do I really have to love my enemies? I do want to ask God that question sometimes. There are moments when loving those I wish would change is easy. And there are other times when it is like changing the light bulb in a ceiling fixture on a twelve foot high ceiling without a ladder. Where is that ladder? I am tired of walking around in darkness. 'Maybe, God will change that light bulb out of reach.'

Ahhhh, and it takes God to change people. OK, God, you win and we win. I will change by remembering that you are the light. So you said. And I will change by loving my enemies -- such will change me. And anyway, do you not always call me to change to become more like you each day? Yes, I will change. Look, the unreachable light is shining once again.

No comments: