Friday, November 28, 2008

Another reason for Thanksgiving

I have just read the final chapter of the gospel of Matthew. Admittedly, it begins with one of the favorite times of day I have which is sitting up and watching the light gradually increase as the sun rises. In that scene colors begin to gradually appear as the light increases. So it must have been in Matthew for, as the sun was rising, there were women on the way to Jesus' tomb.

As I picture this scene, I wonder how fast are they going, and what is their posture. Are they silent? Are they talking? Are they moping along with uncertainty? Or do they walk with a purpose in their steps?

"Suddenly there was a great earthquake". And an angel, literally "messenger", of the Lord appeared to them. And he announced that the executed Jesus had been raised from the dead, and he invited them to see the empty tomb where the night before Jesus' dead body lay.

My mind stops right there as I imagine the scene. The women looking at each other with eyes wide open, eyebrows raised, and jaws dropping. Some of them are looking directly into the messengers face while others are dropping to the floor with fear. Although there is no reference to any verbal reply in Scripture, I can easily imagine them saying phrases like: "What?"; "You've got to be kidding!"; "I can't believe that!"; "Do you believe?" or "You mean..."

Irregardless of their reply suddenly the risen Jesus appeared to them and said, "Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me" (Matthew 28:10b).

The resurrection of Jesus and the hope it gives us to share with those around us is now another reason for thanksgiving.

No comments: