Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sabbath ... rest

Friday I took a Sabbath. That is healthy, and in confession I do not do so enough.

It was good. I did some work at home but such is relaxing to me because you can immediately see the results. And then I read ... one thing I love to do. I relaxed. A lot of times when I do this my mind wanders back to writing my dissertation. I discovered that if I would just leave it alone two or three days and come back to it my mind would catch things like saying a thought twice that was over fifty pages apart when such was not required. Or in the planning world such helps me separate the urgent, that which must be done now, from the important, that which has a long-lasting effect that may take a while to patiently accomplish.

I have a hunch that even Jesus may have had quite similar experiences for he, too, took time to be alone with God. That he, too, was avoiding the temptation to be here and there with other people when God the Father and Spirit was reminding the Son that it was time to be alone!

I am trying as much as possible to even take a Sabbath today (Saturday). By the grace of God so I will do.

Take some time to be alone with God. In spite of what you are (or I am) thinking such is possible. After all, the whole Sabbath (day of rest) concept has a belief that ultimately it is God who completes our work.

No comments: