Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jesus said to them, "What do you want me to do for you?"

They said to him,
"Lord, let our eyes be opened"
(Matthew 20:32b-33)

Even though I am not physically blind, there is always a chance that I may not be seeing life as God sees it. That is always true and for that reason the story of Jesus healing the physically blind can give me hope that he will heal spiritual blindness that is not seeing things the way he sees them. With that in mind I remember an event from this past Sunday.

On Sunday, November 23, 2008 from 8:00 to 9:30 AM we had what is called a "Charge Conference". For United Methodist local churches "charge conferences" are at least one annual 'business review' meeting . The word "charge" refers to the place of an appointed minister. Even though we had good attendance at our charge conference (about 30% of our active attendees) I wish there had been more for this reason: it would have been a good opportunity for more of the people of our local church to hear the testimony of how God has been working through us. I have decided that in the weeks after Thanksgiving I will motivate our staff and laity to publicize what ministries for those outside the Arlington Church have occurred in the last year through at least our newsletter, website, and verbally in worship.

The whole point here is God is a very personal God who seeks to work through people to change the world. And maybe, just maybe, during this Advent and Christmas season he will use me to change a few people at a time toward goodness. From my perspective with all of us seeking to do so such can change the world.

May God continue to open my eyes to how God can work through me! And may God do so for you as well!

No comments: