Friday, November 14, 2008

A new song ... a joyful noise

I have been in music all my life. My mother has just retired from teaching piano. My sister excels in piano, my brother in guitar, my sister-in-law is a flutist, and my brother-in-law and all the rest of us sing.

Music is seen as a grand way in which we worship God. My own belief is music is central to worship, perhaps even more so than preaching for music is more universal in participation.

So a Scripture verse that I read today was at home for me.

Sing to the Lord a new song,
his praise in the assembly of the faithful"
(Psalm 149:1)

Not everyone are musicians, not everyone can sing well. That is fine! Another passage of scripture says, 'make a joyful noise to the Lord'. The key in this is the new and joyful part of music/noise.

The Lord rejoices in the joyful new, in us giving in to him, in us praising him, in us just seeking to imitate his incessant love.

Today, my inner self is singing. Join in the song (or if you cannot sing well, the joyful noise)!

No comments: