Saturday, November 29, 2008

I was waiting ...

Wednesday night of this past week (11/26/08), I arrived home as the sun was beginning to set so I hurriedly got out the lawnmower to chop up the leaves in the back yard. I did not put as much gasoline in the mower to be sure and burn up all the gasoline before putting it up for the winter. Nevertheless, after the back yard was finished, the lawnmower kept running so I cut the side and front yard again. And even with all of that the mower kept running so I cut the back yard again for it was stacked high with leaves before it was cut the first time. When it was all cut, some twice, the mower just kept running so I finally put up the mower with a bit of gasoline in it! There are still a couple of trees with leaves so my plans are to cut under them again to finish burning up the gasoline.

In my life I try to look back at events to see if there is any evidence of the presence of God. One way that I see this event is God may have walked beside me laughing as I tried to use all the gasoline. Another way I see this event is that God just wanted me to get more exercise. Perhaps also God wanted to remind me of one of the themes of the Advent/Christian Season which awaits God's coming as I was waiting to run out of gasoline. Could it have been the timing for the moment I walked in the house after cutting the yard I was hearing of the captives in India over the television?

I does help me in experience to try to see God so I take the time.

See you tomorrow at Arlington UMC.

No comments: