Saturday, November 8, 2008

Polishing our temple ...

There are huge churches in the world. Some with tens and even hundreds of thousands in worship attendance. I have been to some of them such as Willow Creek Church in Chicago with 20,000 plus per week attending their worship celebrations. Unreal! I attended the Billy Graham Crusade as a helper when he was in the Nashville Titans stadium -- every seat filled with some standing! Unreal!

I have also been the pastor of churches where the maximum shoulder to shoulder seating is around seventy-five.

The place of worship I read of today is even smaller. And that place can be of aid in helping us worship God. And that is our very self! Particularly, our very experience can become a place for worship. From my own experience it helps me to have a few moments now and then to consider what just occurred. Such reflection just may help me see how God was in the middle of it.

I imagine one of Jesus' followers named Paul had this in mind when he wrote,

"Do you not know that you are God's temple (place of worship) and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy that person. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple" (1 Corinthians 3:16-17)

My own question is what can I personally do to polish my own temple, myself, for God?

See you tomorrow! Worship at Arlington UMC is at 10:00 AM.

No comments: