Thursday, October 9, 2008

Are you kidding?

My devotional reading for this morning had a phrase in it twice that caught my attention, "Bless the Lord" (Psalm 134). And I was thinking, "Are you kidding? How can I bless the Lord?" What can I give to God who owns the entire universe to bless him? So I began reading about the meaning of the word "bless".

"Bless" is an interpretation of the Hebrew word "barak" that can also be translated as "praise". Ahhh, so to bless God is to praise him. "Barak" can also mean "to kneel, to pay homage, to honor, and to lift up your hands in praise" (Psalm 63:4). To bless the Lord is all of these.

Today, I feel more like just kneeling. Bless the Lord! Yesterday, I felt more like praising. Bless the Lord! Sunday, it was more like honoring. Bless the Lord!

So regardless of what occurs we are called to "Bless (or praise) the Lord!" And even in tough times, perhaps we can praise him for just helping us to get through all that comes.

Again, Bless ... praise the Lord!

No comments: