Friday, October 31, 2008

Job again ...

A person named Eliphaz asks Job two challenging questions:

Can a motal be of use to God?
Can the wisest be of service to him?
Job 22:2

Eliphaz gives his answer that is "No". To a point he is true ... again, to a point. God can indeed complete all his work without creation. Jesus even said, 'If you are silent the very stones will cry out!' With these thoughts in mind God did not have to make creation to complete his work. Rather he only did it out of unselfish love. From my perspective, Eliphaz stresses that side of God a bit too much for Job who is a suffering person.
The way I would answer the questions are as follows.

Can a mortal be of use to God? From my perspective, the ultimate answer is "Yes!" And those times are best when I don't even realize that I have helped God! The reason for my thought is that I believe that we can get so caught up in ourselves through self-centeredness, self-praise, and desire of other's praise that this can interfere with our work for God. With that in mind,
my hope is that one day Jesus will say to me one-on-one, 'John, did you realize that you helped me by ______________.' And I will say, 'No! Wow, I didn't realize it!' A mortal is of best use to God when we so consciously serve God that we learn to unconsciously do so by good serving habits!

Can the wisest be of service to him? Yes, when God's wisdom is our guide. Jesus is referred to as the wisdom, or its synonym, the word of God (John 1:1-18) so one great way to learn the wisdom or word of God is just to read of Jesus Christ in the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. (For those interested in reading Mark is the shortest). Those who follow Jesus are closer to wisdom for they are serving God.

Join me and praise God today and search for wisdom -- ways in which you can be of use or service to God!

No comments: