Sunday, October 19, 2008

I just wish it was easy ...

My Scriptural reading for today pointed to the God who crosses uncrossable boundaries. The reading was from Acts 10 and 11 that I invite you to read. The story begins like this ... a man named Cornelius, a Gentile, had a vision from God to invite a Jewish-Christian believer named Simon Peter into his home. In human terns this was an uncrossable boundary for Jews were not to mix with Gentiles for a couple of reasons. One was religious: Gentiles may be worshipping a number of different false gods and mixing with them may not be good influence on the one God people, the Jews and Christians. Another was political--Cornelius was one of the commanders of the Roman Empire's army that had conquered Israel, so why would the conquered want to go to the conquering army commander's home? Nevertheless, Simon Peter was called by God to cross these boundaries and enter the home of Cornelius and that he did!

Why was Simon Peter to go into Cornelius home? To hear of Cornelius, the godless man's God-centered experience, and to learn of and give witness to Jesus, the Son of God, who had constantly been crossing uncrossable boundaries.

I wrestle with such a boundary-crossing God.

  • What barriers does God want me to cross?
  • Of them, what barriers are most important for me to cross right now? And, specifically, how do I do so?
  • And on top of all of that, how may I lead God's people to cross our uncrossable boundaries?

I just wish such was easy.

No comments: