Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Genealogies ...

Because I am kin by marriage to the Demonbreum family, my maternal family has been a part of Middle Tennessee since before there was a Nashville. I am also kin to at least the Carneys, Biggs, Binkleys and Simpkins. Not too long ago I began research on our genealogy and I have gone as far back as the 1600's with the Binkley family which at that time was in Switzerland and from there moved to Germany, Pennsylvania and, finally, Tennessee (Cheatham County).

The reason I have mentioned a part of my genealogy is the style with which Scripture is often written. Sometimes there will be a few verses and at other times entire chapters saying words like "...Of David, Hattush, of the descendants of Shecaniah. Of Parosh, Zechariah ..." and on and on and on ... (This is from Ezra 8 and it was part of my devotional for today).

Why have the Scripture writers and editors taken so much trouble for genealogies? I am sure there are quite a few reasons, but today -- today -- it means this to me: every single human being is vitally important to God!

We may not know anything but the names of countless people in Scripture or our genealogy. Nevertheless, they are vital to a part of who we are today! And, of course, God is the One who is most vital in our families!

It is important for me to say that God has made me! For if my family is like many there were not only preachers but also horse-thieves as my grandfather used to say.

No comments: