Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The beginnings of a self-evaluation ...

Yesterday, part of the staff and I of Arlington UMC attended the Get Motivated Seminar with speakers such as Zig Ziglar, Rudolph Giuliani, Gen. Colin Powell, Brian Tracy, and Bruce Pearl. With each speaker we were challenged to indicate three things we learned as well as immediate action points we would tackle. For me an immediate action point is in the area of staff leadership and it revolves around one question raised by Coach Pat Summitt of the University of Tennessee:

Would you work for you?

The answer for me here is a "Yes" and "No".

Yes. I and others (who spoke through my 360-degree leadership evaluation) see me as a man of passion who identifies with where people are at the moment. To that I would add that when they ask for advice I give it. With staff there are advantages and disadvantages of waiting until they ask.

No. When I see issues that may need to be covered, I don't ask staff persons a question like, "Tell me when you have time to talk". (Such is an approach recommended by a good number of leadership materials). I just think I avoid such too often.

I need to become more up front with staff, with the laity, and with myself.

Now that you have heard from me, Would you work for you?

No comments: