Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Living out your dream

On Wednesday, September 24, 2008, I wrote a post entitled Just Courage about one of the books I read while on vacation. Here is the other book I would recommend. It tells of a lady who shares how her dream has been coming true for public education. The author's name is Wendy Kopp and her book that I read is One Day, All Children: The Unlikely Triumph of Teach for America and What I Learned Along the Way.

It tells of how she has been living out her calling that came from this question: Why didn't this country have a national teacher corps of top recent college graduates who would commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools? (p. 6).

Her dream has become so real that right at 10,000 people has helped in her dream. It tells of victory and struggle, hope and frustration. As she puts it, great leaders wrestle with how to match specific actions with the overall vision. As she writes, "...if I was to fulfill my mission, it would take more than an idealistic vision. In the end, the big idea was important and essential. But it would work only with a lot of attention to the nuts and bolts of effective execution. This lesson would enable me to strengthen Teach for America for years to come" (p. 125).

May you and I always be ready to adjust and fine tune our actions to the vision God has for us. Why don't you pray that I make the right adjustments to God's vision for me each day? Regardless, I will pray such for you as well.


No comments: