Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wrestling, just wrestling ...

One of the universal themes I have personally noted in the leadership works I have read from the business and church world has helped to give me healthier leadership. It is a theme that should be obvious, but unfortunately it is not always so. A lot of the 'how-to' leadership works stress the call of this theme.

The common-sense leadership theme on my mind is this: 'the only one you can change is your self'.

Oh, I can help change the settings in other person's lives such as providing for them learning events, example, times when they are pushed to make personal reflections; medical treatments, food, offering them places to stay, or even further becoming a true friend to them; but I cannot change them. Even God, who can do anything, will not help change us unless we are willing to change. He has the power to do so but he refuses to use it.

Each day I wrestle with what change(s) God has for me to personally make. I believe this is the wrestling journey on which I am walking, limping, falling, standing, and, at times, running.

This morning I was reminded of my everyday journey in Malachi 2:16b ('b' means the second part of a verse): "So take heed to yourselves and do not be faithless".

When you are in those wrestling moments, may you (and I) take time to be still and seek to listen for God.

No comments: